Defining a Research Proposal
This is a document written to suggest or show what the primary research will be all about. As a student, through your research proposal, you get to pitch to your professors your proposed research topic and research methods. Through your proposal, it is also determined whether the topic you have chosen is appropriate or not.
Understand that when crafting your proposal, you will not be required to do the actual data collection. This will come in later when writing the research paper. Here you are only supposed to show what you need to research, the impact you think it will have, the research methodology you will approach, and what you think the outcome will be.
How to Craft an Excellent Proposal
College students will ultimately be required to write a research paper. This task starts with the creation of a sound proposal. Let us see what you should do to make your proposal exquisite;
- Avoid procrastination – it is best to start very early. This will allow you plenty of time with every stage of the paper. You will then take your time to ensure that everything is exquisite, without worrying about the deadline.
- Ensure your paper is well presented and easily readable – understand that the advisory committee will not just be reviewing your paper alone. They will have lots of proposals to go through. Therefore, to give yourself a higher success rate, ensure that your proposal is well presented and exquisitely written.
- Your proposal is only an outline – even though your professor will grade the proposal, do not think of it as a standalone project. Keep in mind that it is an outline of the primary research; hence it is a work in progress, and you will ultimately write something proper.
- Cite all your references properly – it is imperative to ensure that you need to acknowledge them in your proposal where you borrow any other authors’ material. Failing to do this will have you risking plagiarism, which is never accepted in academic circles.
- Pick a good thesis – it is essential to pick a theory that you know you can find enough data to exhaust. If you choose a topic that you cannot get enough data on, you will have many problems in creating a proper research paper later on.
- Eliminate all errors – like all academic documents you write, ensure that you get a friend to proofread it for you or do it yourself. Either way, you need to ensure that the final paper is relevant, coherent, and free of errors.
It is essential to point out that research proposals are usually used to pitch research and show its impact on the purposes of seeking sponsorship in the commercial world. However, in school, research proposals indicate if students are on the right path to start creating the leading research paper. Professionals take a look at the proposals and either give the go-ahead or point out those areas they think the student should change. This then shows that proposals are a critical step in the research article creation process.